What we are doing
- We’re committing to a 100% reduction in emissions from coal in New Mexico by the end of 2020.
- We’re committing to a 100% reduction in emissions from coal in Colorado by 2030.
- We're committing to an 80% reduction in emissions associated with Colorado wholesale electric sales by 2030, relative to 2005 levels.
- We’re committed to not adding more coal to our system.
Progress so far
- Ended operations at the Escalante Generating Station by the end of 2020.
- Canceled the Holcomb Station coal expansion project.
- Retire Craig Station Unit 1 by the end of 2025, Unit 2 by the end of 2028, and Unit 3 by 2030.
Our cooperative is working to shift our generation portfolio to cleaner energy sources to meet member demand, comply with environmental regulations in Colorado and New Mexico, and to respond to a changing energy landscape. We believe it is possible to provide reliable, affordable, responsible power to our members while implementing these emission reduction steps to meet broader public policy goals. With engagement and support from partners like the Colorado General Assembly and other natural resource stakeholders, we can achieve an efficient, cost-effective and equitable transition.
To learn more about how we are reducing emissions, download our Responsible Energy Plan.
Case Study: Collaboration in Action
As we developed our Responsible Energy Plan (REP) commitments, we collaborated with a diverse advisory group, facilitated by Colorado State University’s Center for the New Energy Economy (CNEE) and Colorado Governor Bill Ritter, on key elements regarding emission reductions.
This group included representatives from across the states Tri-State serves from academic, agricultural, cooperative, electric industry, environmental, rural, and state and local government groups. These advisors gathered to learn with us, share with us, challenge us, and roll up their sleeves to work with us on some of the details that will make our energy transition vision a reality.
To learn more about this engagement process, goals and outcomes, download the joint report Transitioning Tri-State.